Christian Chapel Church began many years ago when a small group of people met at Morgan’s store, in Trafalgar, with the purpose of organizing a Christian Church. At the time a State Evangelist (Alfred Elmore) was conducting a revival in Williamsburg (Nineveh).
The group appointed Bud Morgan and Sallie Ragsdal to contact Brother Elmore and request his assistance in establishing a new church. The telephone did not yet exist, so the next day, Morgan and Ragsdal made the trip to Williamsburg by horseback.
After the meeting, Brother Elmore promised to hold a two-week meeting and help organize the new church. Unfortunately, he was unavailable for the next four weeks. Having agreed on a salary of $25.00 per week, Morgan and Ragsdal returned to prepare for the meeting.
With four weeks to prepare, the founders lost no time in spreading the word that a new Christian Church was going to be established. The day after returning, the small group of people, traveling on horseback, went from house to house throughout the area telling people about the planned meeting. To raise money for the Evangelist’s salary of $50.00, the group, with complete faith that God would provide, went from house to house getting subscriptions (pledges). Because of their efforts, they raised the money on the first day.
On a dark, rainy Thursday night, two weeks before the revival, Frank Vandiver heard a knock at his door and standing there was a cold and wet Brother Elmore. Quickly changing plans (thankful they had not waited until the last minute to spread the word), the opening date of the revival was set for the following Saturday night.
The next day, which was a Friday, with no paved roads, Brother Elmore and Vandiver rode for miles and miles over the road's knee-deep mud telling people the date for the revival had changed. That evening Elmore and Vandiver spent the night with Mr. & Mrs. James T. Ragsdale. On the following day, all four spent the day spreading word of the revival.
On Saturday night in December 1875 in an old log community church called Beech Grove, “Christian Chapel Church” was organized. The following people were elected as the first official board.
Elders: Jim Davis, Lewis Laymon, and John Parkhurst.
Deacons: Harrison Massey, J.T. Ragsdale, Benjamin Thompson, and Frank Vandivier.
Song Leader: J.T. Ragsdale
The community crowded the church building every night during the two weeks of the revival, and many people placed membership in the new church. From available records, the following were charter members for the newly organized church.
Mr. & Mrs. John Parkhurst
Dora Parkhurst
Mrs. Abbie Parkhurst Eccles
Mr. & Mrs. Jim Davis
Mr. & Mrs. J.T. Ragsdale
Benjamin Thompson
Mr. & Mrs. Frank Vandivier
Mattie Thompson Paris
Mr. & Mrs. Lewis Laymon
Mrs. Delia Taymon-Core
Mr. & Mrs. T. Laymon
Martha Taylor
Mr. & Mrs. Harrison Massey
Millie Davenport
Mr. & Mrs. J.J. Vandivier
James Ruffin
Mr. & Mrs. B.A. Vandivier
Alonzo Clemer
Mr. & Mrs. Willard Vandivier
Sol Clemer & wife
Mrs. Lizzie Vandivier Miller
Paulina Green Davis
Mr. & Mrs. James R. Paris
A. White family
Mrs. Lizzie Utterback Hamilton
J.W. Vandivier
Uncle Charlie Smith & wife
Marion Vandivier
Myra Banta
While these founding members have gone on to their reward, some of their descendants continue to worship at Christian Chapel Church.
After organizing, the new congregation moved to the Chapel School House for Sunday school and a prayer meeting. They planned to construct a new church building at a cost of $1,600.00. Again subscriptions raised the money from pledges, and every penny of the necessary funds was collected before the new building was finished. Pledges were in the amounts of $100.00, $50.00, or as their means would allow. John Parkhurst (father of Abbie Eccles) donated the ground for the new church and provided free lodging for the four contractors who constructed the new building.
The new building was completed and paid for on August 11, 1876. On the Day of Dedication, the building could not begin to hold the large crowd attending. So, they held the dinner and afternoon meeting in the woods west of the Church. Brother Elmore and another great man of God, Brother Phillips, were present for the dedication. That night was the beginning of a 2-week revival in the new building. Whenever the crowd was too large for the new building, Brother Elmore would build a brush pile, Brother Phillips would light the fire, and they would hold services outside. It was truly a great meeting with both men preaching “One faith, one Lord, one baptism, and the Bible only.” The whole congregation would kneel whenever they had prayer. During the two weeks of the revival, seventy-six people joined the church, making a total of 123 members.
The new building needed a janitor and C.A. Smith was elected custodian and served in this capacity until his death. The members of Christian Chapel have always been known as a loving group of people who helped or pitched in as the need arose. In the early days the women canned grape juice and made unleavened bread. The men cut firewood and stacked it in the woodshed out back, to burn in the stoves to warm the building for services. Often over the years, the ladies’ group at Chapel has made quilts and homemade products to sell, to pay the ministers salary.
While the new church was organized and in their own building, they were still without a regular preacher. They hired Brother Craig Laymon to preach once a month at a salary of $16.00 a month. Many changes have taken place in this area during Christian Chapel's history. However, the doors of Christian Chapel have never failed to open on the Lord’s Day unless the weather and roads were too bad to travel or in a national pandemic.
Over the years, Christian Chapel Church has hosted many wonderful and soul-stirring revivals. Many of these meetings have drawn crowds beyond the capacity of the building and overflow meetings were held. Among the men of God, holding these meetings were Brothers W.D. Wagoner, Lester Grosegroves, Wilbur Hughey, Al Lorber, and Riley Donica.
Among the ministers who have filled the pulpit at Christian Chapel Church through these many years are: J.M. Cross, C.E. Davis, Robert O’Brien, Ernest Linton, Cecil Parkhurst, Carl Alexander, Phillip Hollenback, J.E. Morgan, Herman Bozell, Allen Brockman, Richard Gill, Paul Jacks, Les Bowling, Joe Hatter, Homer Henderson, Norman Minor, Ken Arnold, Al Lorber, Beau
Vanderbur, Bob Casey, Nelson Lee, and Larry McAdams. Interim Ministers were Lee Snider, Al Lorber, Nelson Lee, James Gazaway, Paul Polusko, Jeff Hamilton, Bob Duke, Brother Fletcher, Scott Davis, and many others whose names have been lost in history. Presently, Kevin Whitaker is the Senior Minister and Gene Dunlap serves as the Associate Minister.
Christian Chapel Church owes a great deal to Brother Ernest Linton. Brother Linton preached his third sermon here at Chapel more than 100 years ago. In 1925 the church underwent a period of discouragement and apparently the church would have to close its doors, but a faithful few contacted Brother Linton. He returned to Chapel. According to an article written in 1928 “Now that Brother Linton comes among us again”, he has us started the church on its way with a good membership and Sunday school.
There has been many physical changes to the building throughout Chapel’s 148-year history. If the founding members were with us today, Christian Chapel Church may not look too familiar. Gone are the kerosene lights on the sidewall, followed later by the gasoline light. In their places, electric lights are now throughout the building. The basement was constructed in 1948 to provide space for Sunday School rooms. . On February 15, 1948, 29 members of Chapel voted to construct the basement at a cost of $2,000.00. On February 29, 1948, leadership requested pledges and on March 14, 1948, it was announced that the pledges exceeded the expected cost.
When the basement was constructed, a new oil furnace was installed and eliminated the need for the two heating stoves that for many years provided heat for the church. Later, the oil furnace could be converted to a gas furnace. In the 1950’s a steeple was added to the building that housed a bell that to this day, can be heard across the countryside. As the need for additional space grew in 1963 a front annex was added. A limestone veneer finished adding a new look to Chapel. This addition provided space for an office, vestibule, restrooms, and an additional classroom.
In time, preserving the original “Chapel” required making major repairs to the interior and exterior of the building. In 1971, folding doors were installed in the basement, which made a total of six classrooms downstairs with two classes meeting upstairs. In 1972, aluminum siding gave a fresh look to the building and insulation provided additional comfort inside. Then in 1973, the sanctuary was paneled, and the ceilings were lowered, resulting in a beautiful place to worship not only for us, but also for future generations. In early 1973, the familiar railing surrounding the pulpit was removed and the front of the church was remodeled, and new carpet was installed.
In June of 1978 the final papers were signed, and Christian Chapel Church was incorporated. In the year 1979 the sign was added out front. In that same year Joe Hatter (according to the best information) became the first minister ever ordained at Chapel.
In the 1980’s, the sanctuary carpet was replaced, and the bell was moved to the east side of the church. On January 18, 1989, the baptistery was dedicated in loving memory of Hershel Mason and Lyon & Ola Selch by their loving wife and daughter Mary Selch Mason. The parking lot was paved that year as well.
In January 1991, it was decided that Chapel needed more room for youth activities, a modern kitchen, and a gathering place on the main level. In addition, it was getting difficult for some members to get up and down the steps to the basement. Pledges were taken and a groundbreaking was held on September 13, 1992. The addition of the Family Life Center was complete with basketball goal and volleyball net. A modern kitchen with plenty of storage, two restrooms, an atrium, and offices for the minister and secretary were put on the upper level. Cindy Rowland started a “Parish Nursing Program” and although this program lasted only a short time, it was a blessing to all. A library was added, and a security light was placed west of the building. In addition, the basement was completely renovated. In 2007, Chapel again came close to closing its doors, when the minister resigned and the board disbursed. The Good Lord had other plans. Thanks to the help of Fair Haven Christian Church (a sister church), other churches, and the prayers of many people, Christian Chapel Church survived and is alive and well today.
On September 1, 2007, a small delegation of concerned members met. It was decided to follow as closely to the traditional values and bylaws, to the best of the church’s ability. The next day Sunday Services were held at 10:30 am., with interim ministers scheduled on a weekly basis.
The church met with brothers in Christ from Fair Haven Christian Church, and they agreed to provide Elders and Deacons for Sunday morning worship services September thru December. In October 2007, a Sunday school class started from March through November at 9:30 am. Sunday mornings.
On March 2, 2008, the congregation voted to hire Nelson Lee as Chapel’s part-time minister. He began serving on April 6, 2008. Many older members were attending, and new members were added to Chapel’s roster. At that time, the average number of worshippers were around 29. VBS was held in 2008 for the first time in several years and was a blessing to young and old alike.
Though numbers were few, Chapel continued to grow spiritually through prayer and dedication to serving the Lord. In June 2014, Nelson Lee retired due to health conditions. Christian Chapel Church hired Brother Larry McAdams who became Christian Chapel Church’s pastor in September 2014, and attendance grew to well over 125.
Between September 2014 - November 2019, the church purchased the house and property to the west of the existing building and paid it off very shortly after due to the faithfulness of Chapel’s members. After a good cleaning and painting it is used for Youth meetings, Bible Study, and additional storage. Many great things happened after that with the help of the entire congregation and Chris McAdams Construction. Electrical was upgraded in the church, handicapped accessible restrooms were added to the front of the church along with a new covered front entrance and additional storage closets. A new roof was put on the building. The area between the church and the house was paved which made extra parking available, and new landscaping was completed around the church building.
Covid 19 hit in 2020 and Chapel was able to move into the online age providing services in homes. Not only were Sunday Services put online, a group of Elders and Deacons posted daily devotions online which helped everyone during those times of isolation. In August of 2020, Brother Larry McAdams retired.
Once again the Little White Church on 44 was in search of a minister. Many filled in as substitutes while the hiring committee reviewed and prayed over applications. Youth is always critical to the future of the congregation, so this was a key consideration for the Pulpit Committee.
After months of interviews the committee recommended Kevin Whitaker, a recent graduate of Johnson University. Kevin is from the Franklin area and felt the calling to give his life in the ministry. Although his calling came a bit later in life, Kevin is in a unique position to be able to relate to older members but drive the necessary changes to the youth program. A confirmation vote was held June 6, 2021, after the Sunday service and the vote for Kevin was unanimous. Christian Chapel Church is excited to have Kevin, Cindy, Rachel, and Zachary Whitaker join us. Welcome home!
Through September 2022, there have been many positive changes at the Little White Church on 44 due to Chapel’s gracious & giving people. Chapel gained another Johnson University graduate when Gene Dunlap was ordained as Associate Minister by official ceremony on May 22, 2022. In December of 2023, Neil Gardner came on as Worship Minister.
The church continues to grow spiritually. There are now several Bible study groups taking place. There is a Women's Study Group, Men's Study Group, and multiple small groups meeting throughout the week. The good Lord has continued to bless Christian Chapel Church with God-fearing members throughout the years. Through God’s blessing, Chapel will continue to thrive.
Chapel has a rich history, but the church’s future is in the hands of the same, loving God who brought Chapel’s founders through many difficult times. While times do change, Chapel will continue to proclaim, “one faith, one Lord, one baptism” and adhere to the guiding principle of Sola Scriptura (by the Bible alone).